MY PAGES:


Wednesday, July 20, 2016

TRAVEL DIARY: SOUTH DAKOTA - ST.JOSEPH'S, AL'S OASIS & CEDAR SHORE


Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

We started our first full day in Chamberlain, South Dakota visiting where my mother grew up and headed over to the St. Joseph's Indian School. They have done a lovely job with the information center, exhibits and more. 

Next, we headed across the Missouri River to Oacoma and Al's Oasis. I've been going there since I was little and we'd visit South Dakota and I've always loved it. It looks a bit like a western backlot and movie set, complete with a grocery store, saloon, trading post, restaurant, gift shop and more. One of my favorite memories from childhood is the giant buffalo that stands tall in front of it.

Though they are faux buffalo, I still love it, but will be off to find the real ones en route to Aspen and in an area my older sister came across many during her cross-country drive a couple summers ago in Wyoming . . . so, stay tuned! 

While at Al's Oasis, we had drinks in their bar and then dinner with our beautiful waitress, Melissa. I got the sirloin steak with mashed potatoes and corn and it was delish!  Then, I got to see yet another pretty sunset as we were leaving dinner and heading back to the hotel.

Once back at Cedar Shore Resort where we staying, I sat on our balcony facing the water and there was the most magical sunset. There is something to be said about the simple, natural pleasures in life. There weather in South Dakota this time of year is so calm and temperate in the evenings, just beautiful. We fully enjoyed it and the outdoors over a delightful bottle of wine.

Below are the pictures from my day in Chamberlain, time at the Indian school, visiting the street my mother grew up, good old Al's Oasis and Cedar Shore Resort. Enjoy!
Friends and I spent a glorious week in Prince Edward Island, and so seeing this U-Haul in the Al's Oasis parking lot made for 2 of my favorite places! :)

0 Colorful Comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to look at my little spot in blogland!

I welcome all comments and thoughts and look forward to hearing from you! :)

by Liesl Ehardt